REPORT | Dons 30-22 Whitehaven

REPORT | Dons 30-22 Whitehaven

13th August 2017

Doncaster RLFC 30-22 Whitehaven

Sunday 13th August 2017

Kingstone Press League One Super 8s

Keepmoat Stadium

Attendance | 525

The Dons paid the perfect tribute to Liam Maughan as they beat Whitehaven 30-22 in the rifleman’s memorial match at the Keepmoat Stadium.

They got off the perfect start, scoring inside the opening couple of minutes as a break from Nick Rawsthorne eventually set up captain Kyle Kesik to go over for the first points of the game. Jack Miller added the extras for 6-0.

The Dons then went further in front as they chose to go for two after a penalty was awarded in their favour just 20 metres out from the sticks. Miller converted to make it 8-0.

The visitors responded just two minutes later as Jesse Joe Parker found space down the left and eased his way past the home side’s defence to reduce the deficit.

In an expansive opening quarter it was the Dons who scored the next try and it was a powerful finish from prop Feka Paleaaesina, who collected the ball metres from the line and force his way over. Miller knocked over the conversion. 14-4.

Whitehaven though pegged the Dons back again with another try, back-rower Connor Holliday got on the end of a fine pass and had enough time and space to score. Paul Crook converted to close the gap to four points at 14-10.

Both sides had chances in the remainder in the first half, but the defences came out on top and the scoreboard wasn’t troubled before half-time.

HALF TIME | Doncaster RLFC 14-10 Whitehaven

The Dons began the second half as they did the first and had a try just six minutes after the break. Hakim Miloudi, making his home debut for the club, fired a great cut-out pass which found Sam Doherty who put the ball down in the corner. Miller added the two from the touchline to make it 20-10.

An end-to-end game continued to flow one way and then the other as Whitehaven again pulled a try back, this time Tom Holland used his considerable strength to go over for the Cumbrian side. Crook added the two for 20-16.

Kieran Cross then made a huge break through the line before a pass from Jordie Hedges almost put Doherty in for his second, but the winger was forced into touch just inches away from the try-line.

The visitors then went in front for the first time in the game with just 15 minutes left on the clock, Parker intercepted a pass and raced 40 metres to cruise over. Crook converted from in front leaving the Dons 22-20 behind.

It took the Dons until four minutes from time to regain the lead and subsequently seal the two points. Cross, who had been a threat from half-back all game, threw a dummy and darted his way past two defenders before scoring. Miller added the two for 26-22.

The Dons then put the icing on the cake in the last couple of minutes, back-rower Charlie Martin latched on to a pass and did well to muscle his way over to earn his side their first victory in the Kingstone Press League One Super 8s.

FULL TIME | Doncaster RLFC 30-22 Whitehaven

DONS XIII | Miloudi, Sheriff, Rawsthorne, Tali, Doherty, Cross, Miller, Paleaaesina, Kesik, Castle, Martin, Muranka, Green. Interchange: Wright, Braham, Thackray, Hedges.

DONS TRIES | Kesik (2), Paleaaesina (12), Doherty (46), Cross (75), Martin (78) DONS GOALS | Miller (2, 7, 12, 46, 75)

WHITEHAVEN XIII | Miller, Thompson, Parker, Taylor, Burns, Roper, Crook, Shackley, Newton, Riley, Holliday, McAvoy, Olstrom. Interchange: Calvert, Tilley, T. Holland, Maudling.

WHITEHAVEN TRIES | Parker (9, 65), Holliday (22), Holland (51) WHITEHAVEN GOALS | Crook (22, 51, 65)

REPORT | Dons 30-22 Whitehaven